Charles R. Riney Jr., JD, LL.M.
Charles is a native of Charlotte, having graduated from Charlotte Catholic High School and North Carolina State University. After beginning his practice with a large firm in Atlanta, Georgia, he returned to the Charlotte area in 2010 with the ultimate goal of opening the Riney Law Firm, PLLC to assist entrepreneurs, professionals and families with their business law and estate planning needs. In addition to owning Riney Law Firm, PLLC, Charles and his wife, Sara, have four sons, Charlie, Sam, Weston, and Max. When he is not in the office or spending time with his family, Charles enjoys running and recently completed the 2013 Bank of America Chicago Marathon, Charles’ first.
North Carolina, 2006
Georgia, 2008 (inactive)
University of Florida Levin College of Law, Gainesville, Florida
LL.M. – 2007
Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Lansing, Michigan
J.D. cum laude - 2006
Law Review: Thomas M. Cooley Law Review, Associate Editor, 2005 – 2006
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina
B.A. – 2003
Major: Political Science
The Everyday Client Situation: Getting Strategies, (Co-Author), GA Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2010
The Everyday Client Situation: Getting Strategies, (Co-Presenter), GA Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2010 – Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
Estate Planning Section of Mecklenburg Bar, Member, 2011 – Present
Charlotte Estate Planning Council, Member, 2011 – Present
Georgia Bar Association, Member, 2008 – 2010
Cobb County Bar Association, Member, 2008 – 2010
Stewart Law, P.A., Charlotte, NC 2010-2014
- Sophisticated estate and wealth transfer planning, including revocable living trusts, irrevocable life insurance trusts (ILITs), grantor retained annuity trusts (GRATs), beneficiary defective trust (DBITs)
- Business formations including limited liability companies, corporations, non-profit corporations, and professional limited liability companies
- Advised dentists and oral surgeons regarding the negotiation and sale (or purchase) of dental practices, including close consultation regarding the tax implications of certain transaction structures.
- Structured and closed multi-million dollar asset purchase transactions
Brock, Clay, Calhoun & Rogers, PC, Marietta, GA 2007-10
- Corporate transactions, including asset purchases, and stock/membership interest purchases
- Structured partnerships and other business and investment instruments for clients seeking tax planning and creditor protection strategies
- Advised and assisted executors in the administration of large estates
- Developed complex estate plans and tax-advantaged succession strategies
- Drafted 403(b) and cafeteria plans for large public school district and counseled administrators on the administration thereof
Jeanna Shelton, JD
A native of central Florida, Jeanna attended University of South Florida where she graduated in two years and with Magna Cum Laude honors with a B.A. in Psychology. She then worked at a Florida general practice law firm for two years before attending and graduating from Wake Forest University School of Law with her Juris Doctor.
Jeanna is licensed to practice law in North Carolina, and since her first year at Wake Forest, has enjoyed the four seasons, culture, mountains, and people of the great state of NC. Her Winston-Salem born husband has also introduced her to Panthers football and Hornets basketball, so keep an eye out for her at the games!